Describe how your organisation’s philosophy incorporates environmental, social and governance factors, and the link to your business offerings.
The JSE understands that a sustainable business is one that operates with a long-term perspective and the recognition that it both impacts and is impacted by the context within which the business operates (including the stakeholder, environmental, political, legal, and economic context). The business is operated according to a philosophy that tries to balance the interests of all stakeholders, particularly in relation to the following three pressures:
• optimising shareholder value;
• reinvesting internally in people and technology; and
• driving down cost to clients.
As far as possible, the JSE business is operated and positioned in a manner that not only provides thought leadership impacting or influencing stakeholders, but also sets an example in achieving excellence. The JSE actively promotes sustainable, transparent business and responsible investment across a range of areas including the following:
- as a global thought leader in the field of governance and sustainability and the related standards and disclosure;
- evolving and expanding its responsible investment product offering;
- ensuring operational excellence through considering the ESG risks, impacts and opportunities of the JSE's activities and disclosures. Recent progress has earned the JSE inclusion in the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment
benchmark index as well as the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Top 30 Index in December 2016.