In our due diligence questionnaire we also seek information on whether the investment manager has any of the following:
- Diversity initiatives (can include gender, age, board tenure, socioeconomic/ethnic background)? For example, target recruitment or quota (if so, please define), diversity training for employees, mentorship programs, initiatives that support a diverse workforce, diversity monitoring or audits, initiatives to support diversity of thought, skills or opinion in the investment function
- Policy on pay equity? Or targets for closing pay gaps?
- Environmental initiatives? For example, energy efficiency targets, waste targets, carbon offsetting?
- Social initiatives? For example, philanthropy/donations to community or charities
Other areas we focus on include:
- Manager’s investment process and ESG integration;
- Stewardship and active ownership practices;
- Asset class specific questions - i.e. for our property managers whether they are the the manager vs operator;
- ESG resourcing and training;
- Remuneration practices related to ESG integration; and
- transparency and alignment.