We regard these principles as long term commitments which will guide both our ethos and our practice as an investment house. They are:
1. We will integrate ESG considerations into our investment analysis and decision-making processes in order to build and protect value through our business transactions while preventing avoidable harm to people, society and the environment.
2. We will seek appropriate disclosure of ESG matters by the companies we invest in so that we have a clear understanding of what we are investing into.
3. We will exercise our influence as active owners to encourage responsible business practices within our portfolio companies.
4. We will seek to provide meaningful and transparent reporting of our responsible investment performance, spanning our own activities and those of our portfolio companies to those who have a material interest.
5. We will welcome dialogue with our Limited Partners and other significant stakeholders to further the practice of responsible investment within our own business and more widely in the investment community.
We will aim to align our operational practice to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment as far as is practical within our resources. Our whole team will be expected proactively to participate in the promotion of our Principles within the firm and externally.
1. To maximize commercial success through our investment activity, while avoiding or minimising negative ESG impacts.
2. To comply proactively and consistently with all relevant laws.
Our bespoke Responsible Investment Framework puts Governance (G) to the fore, as we strongly believe that it is necessary to get that right in order to maximize our efforts in matters under the Social (S) and Environment (E) headings.
To ensure that our portfolio businesses are run in an exemplary way with a strong governance focus on:
- Risk management and compliance, including protecting value and avoiding risk
- Transparency and accountability, especially in matters of material relevance to stakeholders
- Business efficiency and ethics, creating value and a culture of ethical business behaviour
To ensure that our portfolio businesses understand and respond to the interests that are of paramount importance to their stakeholders, paying particular attention to those of:
- Employees, including their safety and wellbeing, equality of opportunity and development
- Customers, and wider society affected by products and service put into the market place
- Supply chain, including those working in overseas jurisdictions as well as close to home
- Community and wider society, including impact on local and wider economies
To ensure that our portfolio businesses are aware of the actual and potential impacts they may have on the environment, are committed and equipped to prevent unnecessary and lasting harm, and where possible can effect active protection and enhancement, including in the areas of:
- Consumption - avoiding or minimising consumption of non-renewable and scarce resources in favour of better efficiency and adoption of sustainable resource use
- Waste, pollution and impact on the local environment – careful management of operations to avoid and minimise any direct or local negative impacts to the environment
- Wider environment – having care and consideration about operations, and what goes into the marketplace, in terms of impact on the wider and global environment.
We will take a precautionary approach to investment decisions when we consider an investment or investment situation seems likely to contravene any of our Principles or Investment Objectives as set out above, and which cannot be addressed within the foreseeable lifetime of our proposed investment or business relationship.
We have opted not to create a list of absolute exclusion areas for investment in favour of the more flexible method of adopting the precautionary approach, which we believe can respond readily to trends and changes in ESG risks as they arise in the marketplace.
We will commit to providing sufficient and appropriate resources and support for our team to pro-actively implement our Principles and Investment Objectives in-house and to cascade the implementation into our portfolio and other significant business relationships.
Endorsed by the Vision Capital Partner Group