Catholic Responsible Investments is an innovative investment strategy designed specifically to help Catholic institutions achieve desired financial and social outcomes through prudent and principled managment of thier investment capital.
By engaging combinations of proven asset managers within a disciplined framework of active ownership and discernment, investors can improve their potential to achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns and to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the world.
While CBIS recognizes and supports the advances that have enabled us to more effectively measure ESG materiality, we also believe that a moral and ethical framework is a valid perspective from which to manage assets.
Examples of our innovative approach over the years:
- CBIS has brought a Catholic lens to responsible investment--long before it was called ESG, focusing on issues and systems affecting the poor, the marginalized, and the most vulnerable.
- CBIS was one of the first firms in the early 2000s to make public our proxy voting approach, our votes online in close to real time, and our guidelines.
- CBIS was the first firm to develop screens on embryonic stem cell research.
- We were the first Catholic PRI signatory in the US.
- We have launched many innovative engagement initiatives, and filed shareholder resolutions for almost 35 years.
- We are now working to finalize the methodology to rank our corporate equity securities according to Catholic social teaching tenets and impacts, and to have managers use those ratings in their security selection process.
- We have raised specific issues of social risk and human rights well before many of our peers.