We look for REITS that are transparent in their disclosure and management of ESG issues. By way of example;
• Green Building Initiatives
• Energy Consumption - Energy mix (e.g. % sourced from renewables)
• Natural Resource Management - (e.g. % of water sourced from recycling)
• Waste Management Policy
• LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification
• Health & Safety
• Gender representation within workforce and the management team
• Corporate Social Investment
• Local enterprise development
• Management (e.g. Skills & Experience at both Executive and Board and effectiveness of the Board in terms of independence and meeting attendance)
• Remuneration policy which should be in line with global standard and align management and shareholders’ interests.
The ESG assessment is incorporated in our detailed fundamental analysis and reviewed on an ongoing basis in line with our active ownership policy.