At Bridges, we are driven by a clear conviction: that investing in the transition to a more inclusive and sustainable economy is a unique opportunity to create both positive change and lasting economic value.
We are a thematic investor. We focus on four impact goals or themes that we believe are central to this transition: Healthier Lives, Future Skills, Stronger Communities and Sustainable Planet. Within each of these themes (which are closely aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals) we identify investable solutions, based on careful analysis of the macro trends that are shaping our future. Our aim is to deliver attractive returns for our investors through investments that also generate better social and environmental outcomes. Launched in 2002 as a single-strategy fund, Bridges has since grown to become a multi-strategy platform of funds:
- The Bridges Sustainable Growth Funds invest in growth companies that are helping to create a more inclusive and sustainable future. It’s our conviction that these are the businesses best-placed to succeed over time. By helping them to achieve their potential, we can deliver attractive financial returns alongside measurable societal impact.
- Bridges Evergreen Holdings is our specialist long-term capital vehicle. It is a flexible long-term investment partner for mission-driven businesses and social sector organisations looking to scale over time. Our financial, strategic and operational support helps them to grow faster and deliver greater impact.
- The Bridges Property Alternatives Funds invest opportunistically in growth locations and needs-driven sectors. We use a unique origination approach and hands-on asset management to generate attractive financial returns to investors alongside measurable societal impact.
- Social outcomes contracts help Government achieve better life outcomes for vulnerable people and better value for the public purse. These contracts enable Government to commission vital services from expert social sector providers – and only pay for successful outcomes delivered. Bridges provides the working capital and project management support necessary to ensure the contract succeeds.
We have helped to build a new category of investing, raised over £1bn of third-party capital, and accumulated nearly 20 years experience of scaling impactful investments. We have specialist investment teams for each of our strategies which are dedicated to finding opportunities in one of our four impact themes:
- Healthier Lives - Investing in solutions that improve physical and mental health and well-being. Within our Healthier Lives theme, our funds have invested in a range of solutions, from prevention through to treatment: building high-quality sustainable care homes for the elderly; helping people with long-term conditions manage their health more effectively; pioneering ‘hospital at home’ services to reduce the pressures on A&E departments; using community pharmacies to improve health outcomes in underserved areas and broadening access to affordable health and fitness facilities.
- Future Skills - Investing in solutions that boost skills and productivity, and strengthen pathways to employment. How do we create a workforce that is better equipped to respond to the ever-changing demands of the world of work? Our Future Skills goal has seen us invest in re-engaging disaffected young people with education, in encouraging more school leavers into vocational training and in up-skilling current workers via further qualifications.
- Sustainable Planet - Investing in the transition to a lower-carbon economy. Most Western countries need to take drastic action in order to meet their carbon emissions reduction targets. Across our funds, our Sustainable Planet investments are helping to accelerate this transition by diverting waste from landfill, promoting a more sustainable approach to food and farming, refurbishing buildings to make them more energy-efficient, promoting more efficient use of natural resources
- Stronger Communities - Investing in solutions that increase access to opportunities and services. Since 2002, our Stronger Communities focus has led us to invest in businesses, property developments and social sector organisations that are seeking to create jobs, broaden opportunity and provide higher-quality, more accessible services in less affluent areas – – such as healthcare, low-cost fitness, vet care, quality space for SMEs, lower-cost and affordable housing.
We are also committed to maximising the impact of our funds and to growing the wider industry in which we operate. We therefore established the Bridges Impact Management Team (previously called Impact+) to equip our internal teams with best practice. Over the last few years, through The Impact Management Project, Bridges Insights, which is our not-for-profit field-building arm, continues to engage with a broad range of leading organisations, across the impact investing value chain to drive the development of a global consensus on how standards for how impact should be measured and managed.