The Bayerische Versorgungskammer (BVK) is a Munich-based organization incorporated under public law and one of the largest institutional investors in Europe. Therefore it has a strong responsibility to ensure a sustainable capital investment strategy with a focus on environmental, social and governance criteria (ESG criteria). As the largest public pension group in Germany, BVK is the joint executive body of twelve professional and communal pension schemes. These offer stable and comprehensive provision for old age, disability and survivors. The oldest pension scheme of Bayerische Versorgungskammer is the Civil Servants Pension Scheme, which was founded in 1916.
The twelve Pension Schemes of Bayerische Versorgungskammer:
- Pension Scheme for Bavarian Medical Doctors, Dentists and Veterinarians
- Pension Scheme for Bavarian Pharmacists
- Pension Scheme for Bavarian Architects
- Pension Scheme for Bavarian Construction Engineers and Psychological Psychotherapists
- Pension Scheme for Bavarian Lawyers and Tax Accountants
- Civil Servants Pension Scheme
- Pension Scheme of the Bavarian Parliament
- Pension Scheme for Local and Church Employees
- Pension Scheme for German Theaters
- Pension Scheme for German Orchestras
- Pension Scheme for Assistant Chimney Sweepers with the Chimney Sweep Pension Fund
- Pension Scheme for German Chimney Sweepers
All pension funds are all self-governed, based on a close partnership between their respective boards and Bayerische Versorgungskammer. While the latter acts as the executive body, each pension fund has its own board of voluntary members of the respective pension fund, the „Verwaltungsrat“ (or „Landesausschuss“ or „Vertreterversammlung“, respectively). The board decides on guidelines governing the pension policy, the articles and the formal approval of the executive board´s actions. As a result, pensions are specifically geared towards the requirements of each respective profession and its pension scheme. The „Kammerrat“ is a body concerned with all aspects of joint executive activities. It is made up of representatives of all pension funds and participates in important common decisions.