For the roles for which you have RI oversight/accountability or implementation responsibilities, indicate how you execute these responsibilities.
Together dedicated RI resources Anthony Linehan (Co-Manager Mid Cap) and Olivia Seddon-Daines (Sustainability specialist) are responsible for:
- Training the investment team and making our analysis relevant to Reinforce and refine our process/methodology EM investing,
- Developing our proprietary data base and ensuring this is regularly updated and is sufficiently dynamic,
- Completing industry courses (eg. CFA UK Certificate in ESG Investing, PRI Academy Courses) to see which techniques and suggestions we could integrate into our process,
- Attending and representing SCM at industry events on ESG integration,
- Monitoring and the functionality of our bespoke Emerging Market ESG database that records all of our engagements with companies on ESG issues, thus allowing cross comparison across our universe, as well as highlighting areas that require more attention. Quarterly reminders are sent out to the team to keep their records up to date and to prevent the analysis becoming stale.
- Improving Portfolio Level understanding of ESG risks,
- Keeping our in-depth training manual on ESG in Emerging Markets up-to-date with new and relevant case studies, resources and materials and organising workshops with internal and external speakers to bring this information to life,
- Co-Chairing the Annual Portfolio Sustainability Review sessions that take place over a three day period,
- Help the fund teams to set objectives for, prioritise and structure engagements,
- Reinforce and refine our process and methodology.
Additional information. [Optional]
We have deliberately chosen not to create a separate team to look at ESG issues. We believe that this work should be fully embedded into the investment process and not just serve as an overlay or complimentary item. There are several senior team members (CEO, several senior fund managers and Anthony Linehan responsible for (and remunerated on) RI work, making sure it adds value to our investment analysis, and allows us to protect and grow our clients' capital over time. It is also a KPI in the analyst team's remuneration. In November 2019 we hired Olivia Seddon-Daines as a Sustainability specialist. Olivia sits in the investment team and is helping to document our ESG work and drive forward engagements with portfolio companies.