Describe your organisation’s investment principles and overall investment strategy, interpretation of fiduciary (or equivalent) duties,and how they consider ESG factors and real economy impact.
- Our fiduciary duty prescribes that we act in the best interest of our customers. As an organisation, BTNZ is cognisant of the need to make investment decisions that have regard for the risk-weighted return over nominated time periods. BTNZ believes that long term investment outcomes can be enhanced if ESG considerations are factored in to the investment decision making process.
- When considering ESG factors in the investment process, BTNZ is not seeking to take a moral stance. Instead, our approach is motivated by an objective of creating value and/or avoiding undue risks.
- Consistent with our fiduciary responsibilities to our customers:
- We aim to incorporate ESG factors into investment analysis and decision-making processes (either directly or through third party investment managers (IMs)).
- We are active owners, consistent with our proxy voting policy.
- Where activity is in breach of national laws and international treaties supported by New Zealand, or engagement cannot deliver the necessary change, we implement asset restrictions, in line with our exclusion framework.
- We seek appropriate disclosure on ESG research and ESG-related issues by the IMs and/or entities in which we invest.
- We promote acceptance and implementation of ESG-related principles within the investment industry.
Provide a brief description of the key elements, any variations or exceptions to your investment policy that covers your responsible investment approach. [Optional]