- The manager research team is responsible to conduct a rigorous due diligence assessment across the universe of investment managers. This due diligence process includes a responsible investment section whereby the investment manager will be rated on.
- The manager research team conducts an annual manager research trip to assess potential appointments and existing managers. The manager score card that is utilised on these trips include a dedicated section on responsible investment practices.
- The manager research team will work closely with the portfolio solutions team to compare the considered peer group and give preference to the investment manager who displays sound responsible investment practices.
- The investment manager agreement will include a responsible investment section that requires the investment manager to adopt our responsible investment policy and it clarifies the proxy voting responsibilities. The investment manager may vote on corporate actions, while Momentum will vote on governance resolutions.
The investment manager agreement will also request the investment manager to report on a quarterly basis any responsible investment related concerns that we should be aware of.
- Every quarter the appointed managers will provide commentary and is expected to report on any responsible investment concerns that might have occurred over the period.
- Frequent manager report-back meetings are held to ensure the appointed managers comply with the terms of the mandate and continue to implement best and responsible investment practices.
- The manager research team will also request the report-back presentations to contain information specific to responsible investment practices to enable them to monitor the investment manager on that basis.
- The responsible investment team will also have frequent engagements with the investment managers when corporate actions arise and votes need to be cast on behalf of MML Ltd.
Responsible investment practices form part of our outcome based investment philosophy. The responsible investment team works with the various capabilities within the investment team to embed responsible investment principles and practices. The responsible investment committee meets on a quarterly basis and serves as an oversight function to monitor the integration of responsible investment principles across the investment team.