Consistent with our policy statement, we prioritize engagements based on which topics or issues we determine will have the most potential to positively impact the value of our investments and the broader market. We use the following methods to assess value:
1) We evaluate the risk each issue poses at the market or industry level and its relevance to company strategy and performance.
2) We assess the likelihood that company(ies) will be able to meaningfully resolve shareholder concerns about the issue(s).
3) We consider our own expertise and capacity.
4) If appropriate, we may consult with research analysts or portfolio managers from across Nuveen’s investment specialists. The ability to collaborate and leverage their expertise benefits both our engagement and proxy voting functions.
5) We communicate with outside stakeholders, including other institutional investors, clients and potential clients, participant groups, nongovernmental organizations and industry trade associations or various organizations with an interest in the activities of our portfolio company(ies).