BNP Paribas Asset Management's Sustainability Centre is the engine for our approach to sustainable investment. It provides investment teams with research, analysis and data at company and sectoral levels, and it also supports teams in their efforts to fully integrate sustainability-related risks and opportunities into investment strategies. This is achieved by our ESG research analysts, whose insights are informed by a variety of external data and research sources, and who also provide a range of educational opportunities to colleagues across the organisation.
The Sustainability Centre is responsible for developing and implementing the firm's Global Sustainability Strategy and Policy, ESG Integration Guidelines, Stewardship Policy, Responsible Business Conduct Policy and product-based exclusions, as well as the firm's ambitious targets on issues such as the energy transition, the environment and equality. It plays a crucial role in measuring, tracking and reporting on BNPP AM's impact and progress on sustainability.
The Sustainability Committee is an integral part of the Global Investment Committee. and its role is to validate new initiatives and engagements, support consistent & effective ESG integration across strategies, decide on issuers’ inclusion or removal from the “exclusion list” or “watch list”, monitor progress on engagement initiatives with issuers from those lists and define and monitor KPIs for investments & sales to assess progress toward Sustainability.
- In August 2018, Jane Ambachtsheer joined BNPP AM as Global Head of Sustainability; she oversees the firm's ambitious approach to sustainable investment. This is empowered by the firm's Sustainability Centre, which undertakes innovative research and policy development, guides BNPP AM's investment stewardship and industry engagement activities, and supports investment teams in accessing, integrating and reporting on ESG factors. On the business side, Jane is responsible for BNPP AM's Corporate Social Responsibility ('CSR') approach, ensuring the firm's day-to-day activities reflect the high standards it expects from companies. Jane is a member of BNPP AM's Global Investment Committee and Business Management Committees, and reports to the Head of Investments. She is a member of the Financial Stability Board's Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures.
- Helena Vines Fiestas joined the firm in 2011 and has sixteen years’ experience of working in responsible business and sustainable investment. She leads public policy and stewardship activities as well as the development of BNPP AM’s policies on Sustainability for BNPP AM. As Deputy Head of Sustainability, Helena plays a critical role in the design, development and implementation of BNPP AM’s Global Sustainability Strategy. She was appointed to the Technical Expert Group on Sustainable Finance whose role is to assist the European Commission in the development of EU taxonomy and the implementation of the EC Action Plan. She also represents BNPP AM in the EFAMA committee on Stewardship and ESG, is a board member of the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC), and a sits on a number of additional committees, including the Sustainable Stock Exchanges Green Finance Advisory Group, PRI Policy Reference Group and the Technical Advisory Group of the LSE-led Transition Pathway Initiative.
- Sheila ter Laag is head of ESG specialist team within the Sustainability Centre, she is in charge of communicating with clients and externally on the Centre's innovative research, policy, investment stewardship and industry engagement activities, as well as supporting investment teams in integrating and reporting on ESG factors.
- Mark Lewis is head of sustainability research at BNP Paribas Asset Management, having joined in January 2019. Previously, he was Managing Director and Head of Research at the Carbon Tracker Initiative (April-December 2018 he was Managing Director and Head of European Utilities Research at Barclays (2015-18), Chief Energy Economist at Kepler Cheuvreux (2014-15), and Managing Director and Global Head of Energy Research at Deutsche Bank (2005-13). He was also a member of the Financial Stability Board's Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures from May 2016 to April 2018.
- ESG Champions: have been appointed to support the embedding of our global sustainability agenda and ESG integration in investment processes and strategies. They are the link between the Sustainability Centre and the investment teams and keep abreast of relevant ESG market developments, as well as updates to our ESG research methodology, exclusion policies and stewardship activities. They attend monthly ESG Champions calls and complete specific sustainability certification, thereby enhancing the firm's overall capacity on ESG issues. As of end 2019, there were more than 65 ESG Champions across investment teams. Furthermore, to complement our Investment ESG Champions community, in early 2020, we launched a network of ESG Champions within our Global Client Group, bringing together members from our global client-facing operations. The members also meet monthly to keep informed of emerging sustainability issues, market and regulatory developments and act as sustainability champions within their teams.