For board level roles for which have climate-related issues oversight/accountability or implementation responsibilities, indicate how these responsibilities are executed.
As a plc and an asset manager, our board has oversight for climate related issues on a number of fronts.
- Our own environmental footprint. The strategy is approved by the board, and implemented by our infrastructure division. Most recently our Chair approved a commitment to joining the RE 100, a commitment to using 100% renewable energy by 2025. Almost 70% of our electricity is currently from renewable sources.
- The board plays a critical role in ensuring investment desks and other areas of the firm are supported to examine issues like climate change and to ensure mechanisms are in place to do so, which they execute through their commitment of resources to the sustainable investment team and regular review of the firm's capabilities
- The board has approved Schroders' Strategic Capability strategy, and Sustainability's inclusion in this. The specific plan includes ensuring that more of our investment processes across asset classes are integrating ESG in the best possible way, and that we are developing innovative products to meet sustainability challenges. There is a three-year plan around this, the implementation of which is monitored by the GMC.
- Our Chief Executive (who is a board member) has supported system wide interventions such as early support for the TCFD recommendations. We are committed to aligning the business to those goals, which we recognise will be an ongoing process of improvement. Our policy activity is focused of building the right ecosystem for sustainable investment to become mainstream.
- Our Chief Executive has also joined the FCA initiative on climate risk.
For the management-level roles that assess and manage climate-related issues, provide further information on the structure and process involved.
The day-to-day implementation is delegated by the board to the Group Management Committee (GMC) and implementation takes place in a number of ways:
- Our group impact. Ongoing monitoring is delegated to the Corporate Responsibility Committee, chaired by a Group Management Committee (GMC) member.
- Our Global Head of Equities, also a GMC member, is focused on ensuring effective ESG integration and the development of innovative new products, especially in the area of long term investing. The Sustainable Investment team is tasked with building tools that enable our investors to incorporate sustainability issues into all of their investment decisions. Climate change is a major part of our activity in this area. Our publications indicate the quality of what we have done in this area (see http://www.schroders.com/en/lu/professional-investor/featured/climate-change-dashboard/). The quality and usefulness of these are evaluated as part of our annual review process.
- The performance of Schroder ISF Global Climate Change Equity and Schroder ISF QEP ESG ex Fossil Fuels is subject to the same controls as all of our investment processes. A number of individuals are also assessed on their ability to grow assets into those funds.
- We have specific targets around Thought Leadership and client education, which includes the expectation that Climate Change is a major pillar of this. Outputs are monitored for quality and usefulness and feed into incentives for the team.