Charter Hall Group (comprising Charter Hall Limited and the Charter Hall Property Trust, listed jointly on the ASX as a stapled security) (the Group or Charter Hall) is committed to delivering strong and sustainable returns to Securityholders and investors. The Board of Charter Hall recognises the importance of good governance in achieving these corporate objectives and in discharging its responsibilities to all stakeholders of the Group. Charter Hall recognise the ASX Corporate Governance Council has released Corporate Governance Principles and Recommendations (Principles) which are designed to maximise corporate performance and accountability in the interests of shareholders and the broader economy.
Responsible investment is addressed in Charter Hall’s Sustainability Policy and Corporate Governance Statement, located on our Corporate Governance section of our website. https://www.charterhall.com.au/About-Us/Corporate-Governance/. The Charter Hall Board has adopted a Group Sustainability Policy that forms the foundation of our commitment to sustainable business practices, outlining our commitment to "...playing a leading role in achieving a sustainable future by:
- Actively addressing and managing our impact through optimising the use of resources, minimising our carbon footprint, waste and pollution and protecting the environment in which we operate;
- Establishing responsible sustainability practices in property design and operations that optimise building performance and maximise stakeholder/end-user satisfaction;
- Assessing and incorporating the effect of climate change risk, adaptation and resilience into our investment and business decisions;
- Protecting, restoring and where possible creating opportunities to improve the biodiversity of environments in our operational control.
- Providing high standards of health and safety for our employees and stakeholders;
- Creating an engaging and innovative workplace that attracts, develops, retains and supports our employees;
- Connecting with the communities in which we operate and making a positive contribution through our investments, projects and support for local charities and programmes;
- Engaging with our key stakeholders to identify and address common goals and facilitating environmentally and socially responsible actions and behaviours; and
- Behaving in accordance with our values at all times.
Charter Hall will pursue these policy commitments by:
- Implementing our Shared Value Framework and strategies to support it;
- Establishing accountability for the implementation of our sustainability policy and strategies at Board and/or management level, as appropriate;
- Developing and implementing baseline measures and targets for tracking environmental, social and economic sustainability outcomes;
- Regularly monitoring, reviewing and reporting on our performance;
- Engaging our stakeholders to achieve joint sustainability outcomes:
- Investors: to reflect changing expectations and providing timely access to material sustainability and community information and to facilitate informed investment decisions;
- People: to inform and develop their knowledge so they apply smart and innovative approaches in all they do;
- Customers: to create sustainable outcomes in our developments and properties resulting in high levels of satisfaction;
- Community: to engage with our people, in our places and in partnership with community organisations and industry;
- Industry groups and government to meet legislative and industry best practice requirements and inform the development of innovation in sustainability practices; and
- Suppliers and service providers to adopt practices and standards for environmental management and sustainability leadership consistent with this policy.
- Promoting the use of innovative, practical and cost-effective solutions and technologies that deliver more sustainable properties.
This policy provides the foundation for Charter Hall’s commitment to sustainable business practices. As our business evolves, we will continue to develop our sustainability commitments to ensure that we respond to future challenges and opportunities.
Charter Hall’s managed funds adopt and are governed by this Policy and the Sustainability Strategy: For the Future.
The Charter Hall Group Sustainability Policy forms part of a suite of Charter Hall Corporate Governance Policies, which can be found on the Charter Hall website. In FY18, Charter Hall adopted our Human Rights Policy, which recognises that Charter Hall Group operates within Australia, which has democratic processes and judicial independence, high standards of governance, with legislative regimes relating to human rights including labour standards, privacy and non–discrimination. Charter Hall also operate under the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights Framework.
Charter Hall's 2018 Sustainability report identifies how the responsible investment approach is linked into the four strategic pillars of our business strategy: Access, Deploy, Manage and Invest and align with the shared value focus areas of Eco-Innovation, Building Community and Enabling Wellbeing.https://charterhall.reportonline.com.au/fy18/sustainability-report/our-approach/our-sustainability-strategy.html