For the roles for which you have RI oversight/accountability or implementation responsibilities, indicate how you execute these responsibilities.
- Board - During the year the State Super Board were engaged to provide strategic input into the future direction for responsible investment at State Super. This engagement happened via a Board workshop.
- Board Investment Committee (BIC) - BIC members were regularly engaged on ESG issues across the pooled fund through updates at quarterly BIC meetings covering climate risk impacts, proxy voting and company engagement activities.
- Management Investment Committee (MIC) - The Executive of State Super are responsible for monitoring RI activities including ESG risk exposure and management.
- CEO - As the Chair of the MIC and a participant in the Board Investment Committee, the CEO has oversight and accountability for the implemention of RI activities across the pooled fund.
- CIO - The CIO is accountable for the development, implementation and performance reporting of the State Super RI program.
- Chief Risk Officer (CRO) - The CRO provides oversight on RI through their participation on the MIC and provision of advice on ESG related risks.
- Portfolio managers - Across the pooled fund, asset class heads are responsible for the oversight of underlying managers and for reviewing the relevant compliance with exclusions and reporting on ESG performance.
- Investor relations - Internal investment governance and ad hoc implementation of RI was managed during the year by the Senior Manager, Investment Partnerships.
- External managers or service providers - State Super expects external managers to undertake RI activities in its behalf - this is reflected by the inclusion of ESG compliance and reporting requirements in IMA's. State Super is also a member of ACSI, who provide a range of RI related project, research, engagement and advisory services.
Additional information. [Optional]
State Super has historically not employed a dedicated RI staff member, with RI related activities gnerally implemented by a number of investment team members. In late 2017/18 a need for a dedicated RI staff member was identified, with a view for recruitment to be initiated in early 2018/19.