The overarching objectives of the engagement are
- PRACTICES: Enhance implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- DISCLOSURE: Enhance the level of disclosure and address the lack of consistent disclosure with regards to human rights
The core areas for engagement are:
1. Corporate response to human rights incidents or allegations, and learnings
2. Human rights commitment
3. Governance and embedding respect for human rights into corporate practice 4. Human rights risk assessment
5. Stakeholder engagement and grievance mechanisms
6. Business relationships, including joint venture partners, suppliers and contractors such as security providers
In order to support the more general ask to companies to implement the UN Guiding Principles, depending on the current level of disclosure and/or implementation at each company, three or more core areas for engagement will be identified for each company.
Note: The engagement focuses on human rights more broadly, rather than on specific issues such as indigenous rights or revenue transparency. An overview of issues which are most significant in the extractive sector and therefore might likely come up in dialogues, can be found in the background document attached below.