All third-party operators are selected, appointed and monitored using the following process:
- Mandatory Due Diligence Questionnaire (‘DDQ’) including ESG questions
- ESG Consultation: Internal meeting with PM to discuss any potential issues arising out of DDQ and how to resolve these
- ESG Implementation: External meeting with manager to explain the issues and propose solutions and potential implementation of ESG conditions in contracts (as of 2015, we ask new infrastructure investments to participate in GRESB Infrastructure)
- Formal Assessment: ESG Specialist provides written opinion for review by global Committee for Investment Proposals (chaired by CIO)
- Annual (Manager) Review: review if conditions were met
- Ongoing Engagement (based on GRESB Infrastructure results)
The launch of GRESB infrastructure together with 9 other founding members is a way to set market wide standards on ESG. In addition to that, APG is a founding member and Board member of the Global Infrastructure Investor Association (GIIA). The GIIA, which was founded in 2015, will work in partnership with governments and regulators to achieve the shared ambition of increasing infrastructure investment.