Provide a brief overview of your organization’s approach to (proxy) voting.
One of the most important ways for the Plan to encourage corporations to be environmentally and socially responsible and to adopt sound governance practices is by using its proxy vote. The Plan or its voting service provider will:
- Vote proxies in a thoughtful, responsible manner. Shareholder proposals on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues will be examined on a case-by-case basis taking into account the possible effects that any proposed actions would have on the long-term shareholder value of the corporation.
- Encourage disclosure by corporations on ESG factors and risks so that investors can be better informed as they do their financial and fundamental analysis.
- Vote for proposals that corporations adopt policies that embrace the following third party guidelines/ principles:
- The International Labour Organization’s Conventions
- The Ceres Principles on the Environment
- OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises - General Principles