Provide a brief description of the key elements, any variations or exceptions to your investment policy that covers your responsible investment approach. [Optional]
Please see our 2016 Responsible Investing Report on Ontario Teachers' website here: https://www.otpp.com/investments/responsible-investing and also the booklet on our responsible investing principles downloadable from the same site.
We take this approach because it helps us to achieve the best risk-return trade-off for our members. Therefore, at Ontario Teachers':
- We objectively consider and evaluate environmental, social and governance ("ESG") risks alongside other risk factors in our investment decision-making and asset management processes because we believe they can materially impact the value of our investments.
- We are active owners and take a responsible approach in our asset management practices. We believe that good governance is fundamental to effective responsible investing.
- We continue to expand our knowledge, deepn our understanding, and evolve our practices by continually assessing current and emerging ESG risks. We share experience across the Plan by fostering a culture of thought leadership and collaboration.
- We seek clear and relevant disclosure of information that may assest us in making investment decisions.
- We collaborate with like-minded investors to more effectively execute Responsible Investing.