ACTIAM formalised 5 milestones that an engaged entity can achieve:
0. Engagement not yet commenced.
1. First correspondence sent and acknowledgement of receipt given by entity.
2. Objectives of engagement discussed in more detail with the entity.
3. Entity responds with relevant information and / or commits to raising the issue internally.
4. Entity develops and publishes (externally or to ACTIAM) a credible strategy and / or formulates clear targets to address the issues.
5. Entity demonstrates that the strategy is being implemented and / or that the targets are achieved.
Progress of engagements is monitored according to this set of milestones and updated on a quarterly basis. This information is brought into the quarterly meeting of the ACTIAM Selection Committee and reported to clients as well as externally on ACTIAM's website (aggregated in case of the latter). If circumstances require so, objectives can be revised, however a company not willing to achieve the objectives is not a valid reason for revision. In such cases, in combination with the entity continuing to violate the Fundamental Investment Principles, ACTIAM can consider exclusion of the entity.