Carnegie Fonder is an active manager that takes a stand on corporate governance issues, including sustainability. We therefore have a special council for responsible investment, comprising the CEO, the compliance officer, the head of corporate communications and the head of sales. The council regularly discusses sustainability issues, quality assures that the fund managers take into account sustainability issues when making investments and ensures that Carnegie Fonder’s personnel receive training in these matters.
If we receive information that a holding does not live up to our requirements, the council takes action in consultation with the relevant fund manager. We have a number of possible courses of action:
- The manager seeks additional information and discusses the holding with the council.
- The manager contacts the company with regard to our issues.
- Carnegie Fonder’s CEO makes more formal contact with the holding’s CEO or chairman.
- We contact other shareholders for joint ownership dialogue.
- If the response is not satisfactory, and the company does not show willingness to change, we can choose to divest the holding.
This type of process can take some time, depending on the nature of the issue, the size of our holding and where the company is based geographically. Each case is unique and is evaluated individually.