As active managers, we do our best to identify and avoid companies that behave improperly. In addition to maintaining close and regular dialogue with our holdings, we engage an external consultant to review our portfolio in terms of sustainability, even before we invest (”pre-screening”).
If we receive information that a holding does not live up to our requirements, the council takes action in consultation with the relevant fund manager. We have a number of possible courses of action:
- The manager seeks additional information and discusses the holding with the council.
- The manager contacts the company with regard to our issues.
- Carnegie Fonder’s CEO makes more formal contact with the holding’s CEO or chairman.
- We contact other shareholders for joint ownership dialogue.
- If the response is not satisfactory, and the company does not show willingness to change, we can choose to divest the holding.